The City of Apopka in conjunction with the Apopka Area Chamber of Commerce hosted the 2019 State of the City. On October 3, 2019 over 300 people attended this event at the Apopka Community Center. Mayor Nelson provided an overview of past accomplishments and highlighted upcoming projects.
See below for more information.
Population and Statistics:
- Population: 52,404
- Households: 19,537
- Persons per household: 2.682
- Size: 34.721 square miles (22,221.30 acres)
- Average Income: $76,765
- Apopka grew by 728 people from April 2017 to March 2018.
(Population data is supplied by the University of Florida Bureau of Economic and Business Research.)
City Projects and Events:
- Alonzo Williams Park - Billie Dean Community Center
- Veterans Day Event on November 11, 2019
- Apopka Proud
- Concert Series
Development and Growth:
- Apopka City Center
- Kelly Park Crossing
- Fly in Community
- 429 West
- Engelmann Lake Apopka
- Blue Scope (Coca Cola and Goya Project)
- Apopka millage for Fiscal Year 2020: 4.0376 per $1,000 of assessed value (Still the lowest millage of any full service municipality in Orange County.)
- FY 2020 Budget: $98,974,270
- General Funds Capital Expenditures increased by $500,000 for Fiscal Year 2020
- General Fund Debt Service reduced by approximately $1 million for Fiscal Year 2020
- Fire Department: Wheel Chair donated to a constituent
- Apopka Proud: Hometown legends John Anderson and Sawyer Brown perform
- Police Department: 50 Yard Challenge with Mr. Rodney Smith Jr.
- Birding Park: This 69 acre park is an educational facility for conservation activities
- Wastewater Center: The new Wastewater Treatment Plant provides full Biological Nutrient Removal technology
- Public Works: Improved streetlights, road resurfacing, sidewalks, and mowing capacity
- Apopka Youth Works: The City of Apopka and CareerSource of Central Florida partnered together to help provide 113 students with jobs at approximately 27 local businesses
- Innerconnect Line: Mount Dora, Apopka and St. Johns Water Management District partnered together for a Innerconnect Line for reclaimed water.
Download a copy of the State of the City handout.